Friday, December 28, 2007

fear like no other


Tonight I realized that one of my hardest jobs as a parent will be letting go. I have seen this day coming. With a husband like Steve, I knew it wouldn't take long. Steve is the great encourager. He wants to enable anyone who is willing to achieve their dreams, especially our children. Don't get me wrong, I am all for our boys reaching for the stars, but I expect some conditions for our boys. They have to do things that are safe and conservative. They have to check with us first and never move away from home. I wish this would always be the case, but I know it is best if it is not. I always remind myself that the true reason I married Steve was because he pushes me outside of the box. It is when you are most scared that the most growth occurs. Right?

Tonight was a night of great growth for me. Gibson went snowboarding! Ok, that sounded really dramatic. It was only down the 'hill' leading to Grandpa Dale's house, but he still went snowboarding at the age of three. As I stood in the kitchen window watching him work the snowboard with great ease, my stomach churned. With each new attempt Gibson made, my mind was thinking horrible thoughts. He doesn't have a helmet. I don't have time to go to the emergency room. Great idea Steve! Although each of these thoughts passed through my mind with my stomach in knots, they were well worth it when I saw Gibson make it down the hill and turn to look at me with the biggest smile on his face. Until there is a broken bone...thank you Steve for knowing no limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...