Monday, October 7, 2013

Showing Up With Your Eyes...







I recently read that you should have at least one conversation a day with your child in which you look them in the eyes and give them your complete attention.

As I read, my heart sank as I tried to recall the the last time I sat down, without distraction, and just talked to my Gibson Jack, Elliott Drew or Finley Grace....

I couldn't recall.

We talk, we talk all of the time.  We talk while I'm making lunches. We talk on our way out the door.  We talk in the car. We talk at dinner.

But, we never talk one-on-one, without distraction.

For too many years, I have been missing these eyes and their stories.

I have been missing how these eyes show the rich depth of their pure joy, and the true story of their hurt.

I have been missing the connection and dialogue that come from sitting down and looking into the eyes of just one child, without interruption.

I have been missing it all, and realize it was time for me to show up with my eyes.

I now grab my coffee and sit down at the table, saving breakfast clean-up for later.  I now make exceptions to bedtime and snuggle on the couch for just a few more minutes.

 I now notice just how delightful these six beautiful and unique eyes really are.


6 comments:

  1. Love this. Stings a little too. In a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. Stings a little too. In a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something we've been intentional about doing here too. Distractions are everywhere, especially with siblings etc. We try to do it at bedtime. Such tender moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow I've missed all of these posts! So loving all your heart here. I've almost called several times lately, but I've only had short pockets of time because of fall break. Can't wait to catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow I've missed all of these posts! So loving all your heart here. I've almost called several times lately, but I've only had short pockets of time because of fall break. Can't wait to catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...