Friday, July 1, 2011

Thoughts of a Recovering Perfectionist


I used to have it all together, or at least I pretended to have it all together.  I was a perfectionist who agonized over every little detail.  I would spend hours upon hours in my classroom. If we had guest coming to our house, I would clean every nook and cranny until it was spotless.  When people asked me how I was doing, Great, how are you, would be my go to response. 


In all reality, however, I was light years away from having it all together.  I would beat myself up because in my skewed perception, I thought  everyone  else  did  have it all together.  Other's classrooms were perfect, their homes were always immaculate, and they were always great.

How did they do it?  How were they so perfect?

Fast forward six years.  Now in my thirties, having two spirited boys, and being much more wise than that naive young woman I once was, I realize that nobody has it all together. 

Who was I kidding?

On most days I am lucky if  I can keep the kitchen clean for a straight 4 hours, put mascara on, and actually shower in the morning.

As a matter of fact, just yesterday I showed up at a park play date with two different shoes on.  Yes, that is correct.  The mom with a 6 and a 4 year old, who dress, buckle,  and pretty much take care of themselves, walked out the door, drove all the way to the park and realized several minutes after arriving that she had two different shoes on.  Seriously?

All this to say, I wish I would have known then what I know now.

Lessons learned on my journey?  Nobody is perfect. There is not one person who has it all together.  People find comfort in your transpareny, and when you show up at a park with two different shoes on, laugh at yourself and own it.  You've earned it.

4 comments:

  1. maybe you should make a regular habit of wearing two different shoes, you know, just to show Perfectionism who's boss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally love you. This is much better than my mismatched socks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true. I second Katie's comment. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...