Thursday, December 20, 2007

he stole my heart








I had a plan. I always did and still often do have a plan in my head of how things are supposed to happen. I was going to get married when I was 23, have my first child when I was 25 and the next two at the ages of 27 and 29. Voila', by the time I was thirty I would be done having kids and everything would be perfect. Everything was set and going according to plan. I was pregnant and due to have our first baby on January 8th 2005, with 9 months to spare until I turned 26. Perfect.

Everything was all set at school, I had all Christmas break to get things ready for the baby at home. Everything was going to be angels and roses. Sadly, the angels and roses did not show up on cue. On December 23rd I came down with a horrible case of the flu, setting off the next series of unfortunate events. I became dehydrated. My water broke. Time to have the baby. We weren't ready AT ALL for the baby. Steve passed out during my IV. Steve had the flu all throughout my labor. Twelve hours with no epidural. Twelve hours with no progress.



Finally, the angles arrived. I got an epidural. This quickly resulted in the birth of our son. Having a girls name raring to go, we had our baby boy for five hours before he became our Gibson Jack. From the moment he was born his little eyes stole my heart. Not only did he steal my heart, he put it on my sleeve, for now it was vulnerable to to world I needed to protect my son from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...