Thursday, June 28, 2012

1/2 Birthday Bike Riding Bonanza

7 and 1/2 years ago, I was checked into the hospital on the
 23rd day of December.

According to my calendar, I was not supposed to see the labor and delivery room for another two weeks.

Apparently, there was another plan that I was not consulted on.

As I sat dismayed and in tears, I asked the nurse if my baby would be born before Christmas.  
To which she replied, 

I'm not sure.

17 hours later, on Christmas Eve our Gibson Jack was born.

From that day forward, I knew I had a very important job as Gibson's mother.  It was going to be my job to make sure he knew that his birthday was special, that even in the midst of Christmas chaos he would have his own celebration, his own presents {wrapped in birthday paper!!}, and his own special day.

And, up until this seventh year, I would say Gibson never even noticed that he had to share his special day.
He didn't notice until his own friends birthday invitations started to roll in and he asked why he never had a friend party. 

With his new awareness, my heart just broke, and in a moment of weakness I told him that he is special because he can have his very own 1/2 birthday party in the summer.

So, that we did....


We invited 14 of Gibson's closest friends,



ordered a special cake in his honor,


fashioned a suitable hanging sign,


tried our hand at making 1/2 drinks,



and set the kids loose on the trails.
{thanks mr. matt and dad for riding along}


When all was said and done, I think it is safe to say that we had one
 7 1/2 year old who felt pretty special no matter what 
day his birthday falls on.

8 comments:

  1. Aw-I love it! Great pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! My mum did this once for me, probably at about the same age. All I wanted was a pool party, a no-go with my late fall birthday. This will always stand out in his memory! Cute cakes too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special day you made this to be for Gibson. Absolutely love the cake idea. What a great idea! Your boys are very blessed to have you as a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up at the GFC Blog Hop today!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea! I found you via the GFC blog hop and am happy to be your newest follower! I'd love a visit back at http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea, thoes cakes made my day, so perfect! ps found you through GFC blog hop! xx Elly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...